Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Don't Believe the Hype

We got cocky!

Though we were always cautious when saying it, Breck and I continually boasted to anyone who'd listen about how well-behaved our beautiful baby Skye was.

In the back of our minds I think we both knew it couldn't last; but we held out hope until...

It came from out of nowhere.

A week full of tantrums and tears. Completely unprepared we were faced with inconsolable & uncontrollable, seemingly out of nowhere and for no apparent reason whining, crying, kicking and screaming. It appeared as though our perfect little 16-month-old child was having a premature case of the terrible-twos.

Though things have simmered down over the last few days I was still worried that Skye's "Day of Dad" today was potentially going to be miserable for both of us.
(Disclaimer: It wasn't technically an entire day as I did go to work; but "Morning & Evening with Father" doesn't quite have the same ring to it)
Our morning routine was fairly typical as Skye is used to Dad waking her up and his futile attempts at picking out matching clothes and brushing her hair. This morning, however, we cruised the 1/2 mile to school by bike instead of our usual route by foot.
 
It is usually Breck who pick's Skye up from her daycare so I was anxious that when Dad showed up she'd be less than thrilled. To my delight her eyes lit up as I walked in to the room a she came beaming toward me as I scooped her up and headed home for the evening.
 
My missing Skye had returned.
 
Our evening was filled with giggles and smiles as we rode our bike, walked to the store, played with the dogs, ate dinner, chased each other around the house, watched a tv show together, played with balloons, took a bath, read some books, ate a bedtime snack, and laid down in bed without so much as a squirm, wiggle, or peep.

Uh oh, maybe I shouldn't have written this; I might have just jinxed it... 

 

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet remembrance. And, yet, 'terrible twos' are really rough, but intermingled with such sweetness, too. Oh, I can't wait to see this Skye girl again! Please tell Breck she MUST bring Skye to the shower on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad she was so good with you that night so that we could enjoy the night with Breck! What fun that you could just bond you and her.

    ReplyDelete