Tuesday, April 12, 2011

From Boy to Man (almost)

As I opened the door and we were walking into the garage our conversation went something like this:
Aiden (age 6): So, this is your garage?
Preston (age 28): Yup
A: So, where's your chainsaw?

P: Um, I don't have one.

A: Well why not?

P: I guess I've never needed one

A: Oh, well I think you need to go buy one.
It became clear to me tonight after spending a few hours with a six-year-old boy that I've forgotten what it's like to be a six-year-old boy.
I've forgotten what it's like to be covered in dirt and not care; to ask questions about guy stuff like "which one's the strongest?"; "who can run the fastest?"; "which color is the best?"; "how much does that weigh?"; "is that the most expensive?"; and "which one is the biggest?"
I've forgotten what it's like to climb on a pile of dirt just because it's there; or to want to "build something" just because it feels like a manly thing to do.
I've forgotten what it's like to have the attention span of, well...a 6-year-old boy.

I don't know how it happened, but it appears that I've officially turned from a boy to a man; if I just get myself a chainsaw, that is.

2 comments:

  1. I think the chainsaw question is just so Aiden, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the six year old NEAR the chainsaw! I knew you'd make it to manhood eventually! We are happy with all you do and all you are. It seems like we never stop evolving into the somebody we ought to become. Love you, son!

    ReplyDelete