Tuesday, May 27, 2008


Here`s a little excerpt from an ongoing poem I`ve been writing while in Japan:
...And now here I sit with a pen in my hand
Trying to comprehend this foreign land
Trying to define an undefinable place
As I try to navigate through Tokyo`s rat race
Mile after mile, new sight after sight
Hard to take it all in, try hard as I might
My feet still both have blisters & my back is beyond sore
But I`m even happier now than I`ve ever been before
Seeing all new places & learning all new things
Never been so nervous since that day we exchanged rings
And where is that ring & the girl its attached to?
Want to be here, right now in this place...but with you
So now I sit here listening to these machines as they spin
Thinking about where I`ll go & remembering where I`ve been
Trying to focus on the reason for this journey
Moving slow but at the same time in a hurry
What would other travelers think, what would they do, what would they need?
What can I grow out of my own traveling seed?
The rain continues to pour, a typhoon on the coast
Now we won`t get to see a building I wanted to the most
Work continues, pen to paper, try to focus as I might
My thoughts fall back to the giant sumo men I saw last night
My thoughts on the past & about what`s to come ahead
What thoughts have been thought, what ideas have been said?
The train moves to Nikko and there`s a stairway to heaven
As the journey continues through days nine, ten, eleven
We`ve seen the history of Tokyo & the present & future
I try to relate to my own home & family & culture
I want to take it all in, want to learn & to know
To apply to my work & make my architecture grow...

5 comments:

  1. That is going to make the longest StewArt song ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poems! And, I'm glad StewArt is still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're still writing poems! Sounds like a great adventure. I wish Breck could have been there with you. We miss you and Breck too! We've got a boating trip planned when you get back! xoxoxoxo Still your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, that last comment was from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't know you were a poet Preston! I'm so glad you're having such a great experience in Japan. Please plan to give us a Travelog when you get home. Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete