Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Quest for Perfection

I have felt an immense sense of pressure lately while designing a client's "dream home". It is a time-consuming and extensive process and I want -- for everyone's benefit -- for it to turn out perfectly.

Perfection is such a ridiculous word.

Obviously everyone at the table has their own ideas and visions of what the end result will be and those ideas often don't match up as nicely as one would hope. I've have had to remind myself (and the client) lately that numerous compromises --for numerous reasons -- must be made in order to actually get something built.

It's frustrating.

I was comforted today, however, after watching a documentary about Frank Lloyd Wright; who is often referred to as "The Greatest Domestic Architect of the 20th Century". It was revealed that in his quest for the perfect residence he was revising, remodeling, and reworking some of his greatest works right up until his death.

So I suppose if it was a lifelong quest for Frank Lloyd Wright then my only hope is to live two lifetimes if I have any chance of getting it right.

In that case I guess I should just smile and enjoy the journey...

1 comment:

  1. You hit the nail on the head...enjoy the journey! Love you, Mr. Architect!

    ReplyDelete