Monday, July 02, 2012

The Cleanse: Week 1 - Wakeboarding Mag or Bored of the Wake Mag?

In the spirit of simplifying my life (as much as one can do with two young daughters in the house) I've accepted a self-imposed challenge to give, throw, or sell at least one item from my house/garage per week for the next year. My life is getting too full of stuff -- stuff I don't want, stuff I don't use, stuff I don't need -- and I'm growing weary of the clutter. Breck has reluctantly agreed to allow me this cleanse and has even hinted that she may be willing to participate as well.

Despite that fact that the colorful spines made for a nice visual display on my shelf, I decided to begin The Cleanse by throwing out my collection of Wakeboarding magazines (note: don't panic all you tree huggers out there, this huge stack of glossy paper did go into the recycling container). I didn't realize just how long I'd been holding on to these relics until I began scanning the dates on the dozens of covers as I threw them out; the oldest issue I found was from the year 2000! That means that this habit had survived the initial purging of my childhood memories when I got married and moved into a tiny apartment in 2002; and had since survived 3 more moves to eventually reside collecting dust on the bookshelf in our current house for the last 5 years.


I'm not sure exactly my reasoning for holding onto this timeline of the wakeboarding industry for the last 12 years. When I stopped to think about it and couldn't recall even once going back to scan the pages of a past issue I decided it was time to let them to go.

Now I've just got to resist the urge to fill up that empty shelf with more stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment