Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Cleanse: Week 11 - All the Flowers Have Died...

"...there is no morning dew. The crickets know no love songs, and I feel so blue."



For some reason when I was trying to think of a title for this post I kept going back to my memory of this clip from The Cosby Show. Thanks to the magic of the internet, here it is. It's weird the things that get stuck in your head, huh?

Most people have a junk drawer, or a junk cabinet, or a junk closet depending on your "hoarder level". I think at our house we have all three; but for this week's effort I decided to just tackle the catch-all cupboard right inside our front door.

They call it junk for a reason. I probably gave or threw away 50% of what was inside this cupboard and some of the things were unidentifiable. I'm sure I thought they were important at some point.

Taking up a huge portion of space hidden behind those unsuspecting doors were glass vases; remnants of random romantic efforts over the years. I quipped to Breck that if I wasn't so generous then we wouldn't have such a large collection of these vases gathering dust on the top shelf. She did a quick calculation and reminded me that there are at least 3 occasions per year that might warrant flower-giving; birthday, anniversary, mothers day (and that's not even including the countless "I'm-sorry-I'm-an-idiot" flower-giving occasions) and we've been married for 10 years. There were not 30 vases there.

I'm sure I've already given some away in the past.

2 comments:

  1. Guess we watched Cosby reruns a few too many times! I read your title and immediately started singing that song, too! :)

    I recently paired down the THREE junk drawers in my kitchen to just one! Are you proud?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not trying to push my "clutter-reduction-agenda" on you, but if you've purged and you feel better then I'm happy for you.

      Delete