Monday, July 30, 2012

The Cleanse: Week 4 - Where Does My Cargo Go?


This rooftop tent may be the next step if we outgrow our sleeping quarters at home; but for now we just need to transport cargo on the roof when we travel.

It's amazing how much stuff 2 little girls require for just a weekend getaway! Who would have thought? Then when we bring our other 2 girls (aka the dogs) along for the ride we quickly run out of storage space in the car. So in anticipation of a car trip to Bear Lake we decided to investigate some rooftop cargo storage options.

Most rigid roof storage boxes were way out of our price range. Knowing we would most likely only require rooftop storage once or twice per year we decided to take the economical approach and just purchase this cheapo (relatively) rooftop cargo bag to get us through.



I guess it's true that "you get what you pay for" because as I was loading this thing on the car for the first time it began to rip at the seams with the first tug on the adjustable strap. At this point we were out of options and out of time so we just made due with our slightly damaged bag, loaded up the car, and headed out.

Fifteen minutes into the trip we were forced to test out it's claimed water resistant capabilities as we encountered high winds and rain on our drive through the canyon.

Two hours later at our destination we assessed the situation and were glad to see that we lost no cargo; unfortunately we did arrive with some damp luggage. (Full Disclosure: After further investigation my lovely wife pointed out that in my haste to get the car loaded I had installed this cargo bag backwards on the roof which played a somewhat significant role in the water infiltration issue)

Even after installing the cargo bag correctly for the return trip I still felt like it was a bit ill-fitting on our particular car model. Also because of the fact that is was already torn after the first use I decided to return it to the store asap.

Luckily I was given a full refund. REI is the best!

So does that count as part of The Cleanse? I didn't really get rid of anything, but I did avoid adding another rarely-used item to our garage storage shelves. So I'm counting it as a qualifying item.

Baby steps, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment